Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Have You Filled a Bucket Today...

One of my students, Stacey,  who is a school teacher brought in a book for me to read the other day.  I love when students recommend or bring in books , wanting to share their new found knowledge with me.  But this was the first time it was a kids books.

The name of the book is "Have You Filled a Bucket Today"?  Stacey knew that we were practicing random acts of kindness for the month and this book is so appropriate.  Some of the local school systems have brought in this book to the class rooms to teach kids how to fill up others buckets and making sure they understand that is the only way to fill up their own buckets.  Someone who fills up other's buckets with good is a "bucket filler" and someone who dips into other buckets is a "bucket dipper".  Just for clarification a bully would be categorized at a "bucket dipper".

I think that this book should be mandatory reading for kids of all ages.  I read it last Sunday to my yoga teacher training class and had to stifle a little laugh.  As I read, I looked around our circle, they all looked so wide eyed and innocent, like a little group of kindergartners. It was so cute.  But it got the point across.  It's never too early or too late to learn how to perform random acts of kindness.
 
But I know one thing for sure, I want to be a "bucket filler" when I grow up.  What about you? Oh and of course, don't forget to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment