Monday, September 10, 2012

Time After Time

Clock_face : Wall clock Stock PhotoWhat is time?  When I googled the meaning of time, when used as a noun the definition is "the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole. " But when used as a verb the definition is "plan, schedule, or arrange when (something) should happen or be done". That is the one I seem to have a problem with lately. 

In the yogic teachings of the the 8 Limbs of Yoga by Master Pantajali, one of the five Yamas (restraints) is Satya or truthfulness. At first thought we think of lying which is correct, but it goes much deeper than that.  All of the Yamas & Niyamas (observance) do.  (To learn more about the Yamas & Niyamas read the book by Deborah Adele appropriately titled "The Yamas & Niyamas".) But I digress. Am I being truthful about the number of things I can plan in my day?  Do I allow time for hiccups or interruptions of my so called plan and schedule?  Did I allow for the extra time when I took my son grocery shopping with me that he had to read every label?  Do I allow extra time when I take my mom out and take in consideration that being 87, there is no such thing has running in and out of a store (especially Costco, those free samples and all). 

How many times have we heard "we all have the same 24 hours in the day". Are we being truthful in what we make a priority in our 24 hours?  Do we plan for rest, play and sleep?  Don't get me wrong, I love everything I do in my life and I think that is part of my conundrum.  I want to do it all.  But there should be moderation with everything. Who do I say no too?

Goodness, I haven't blogged in over a week.  Sat down several times to do it but.....

As I remind myself and others, I am a work in progress.  So I am still working on this one.  I ordered Mitch Albom's new book of fiction “The Time Keeper” to sell at the studio.  The cover jacket tells us "the inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift".  I can't wait to read it...when I can find the time....and just breathe.

1 comment:

  1. progress not perfection~3 different *times* I have tuned into my car radio and the song "time after time" by Cindy Lauper has caught my attention....."suitcase full of memories"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PqhOrgk11A
    I enjoy the reflections your blog brings to me..

    ReplyDelete