Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What's Your Back Story?

We all have a backstory, a past, a history that makes us who we are today.

I was reminded of this the other day and also reminded of how we often come to an incorrect conclusion, because we don't know the back story.

There is a student who has been coming to the studio for a short time. She is new to the practice of yoga and doing her best. In her new practice her body isn't always going to where she would like it to, but again she does her best.

I commented to her that she should be proud of determination and not giving up on this new found practice of yoga and with time and patience, her body will be kinder to her. I shared with her my back story of when I first started yoga and couldn't get my fingers passed my knees in a forward fold.

Then she told me her back story. She just lost her husband this past May and had become out of shape and lost her flexibility because she sat by his bed side for the past six months to help him through his last journey.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I expressed my sympathy for her loss and for her courage to find a new normal for her life.


In Buddhism there is a teaching called the Four Immeasureables which are: love, commpassion, joy and equanimity. We should practice these teachings toward everyone we meet,always. Why? Because we never know what their back story is...let that marinate in your mind a bit...and just breathe.



No comments:

Post a Comment