Monday, December 2, 2013

A Quote a Day.....

"Thanksgiving Day comes, by statute, once a year' to the honest man it comes as frequently as the heart of gratitude will allow". 
                ~Edward Sanford Martin~

I love quotes. I am a self confessed quote junky! They help put into words what I am feeling. They put me on track or back on track with their wisdom and thoughts. When my mind is in chaos about something or someone in my life, I just google and I always find a quote that speaks to me.  Some of the authors names are familiar, some come from the most unusual sources (ie: comedians & politicians ) but it doesn't matter as long as the quote speaks to me.

So when I was searching for a Thanksgiving Day quote I came upon Mr. Martin's quote (he was a poet who was born in 1856, I googled it) and of all the ones that popped up at that point in time, for that breath, for what I needed at that moment I chose him.

Why? Because everyday should be a day of thanksgiving not just once a year.  Not just for the length of time between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Why? Because they is so much to be grateful for there is no way in hell you can fit it all into those 30 odd days.Why? Because it should be impossible to do so.

I woke up the other morning well before I needed to and his quote came to mind so I just layed there in the silence of the world not yet stirring and started to make a mental list of all the things I am thankful for in no particular order:

  • My family, my husband, children, siblings and everyone else that fits into that category.
  • My friends.
  • My practice of yoga.
  • Santosha Yoga.
  • The teachers of Santosha.
  • The students of Santosha.
  • My health.
  • The health of my children, especially my two sons who have both battled and won the fight of cancer.
  • That fact that they have health insurance.
  • The fact that I have health insurance.
  • My grandson and my granddaughter who is about 3 weeks away from coming into this world (I know they fall under family but as a grandparent I am allowed to boast.
  • My warm bed.
  • A roof over my head.
  • Food in my belly.
  • A car that runs, gas in the car and money to buy gas for the car to run.
  • My landlord.
  • My husband ((I know that I listed him already but he deserves another mention for putting up with me for over 29 years).
  • My favorite pair of jeans.
  • The change of seasons in Michigan.
  • My grandson's giggle (I know, I know another grandson mention, those of you who are grandparents will understand).
  • The struggles and hard times I have had in my life for they truly have made me who I am today.
  • Dark chocolate!
  • The breath and life that I have in my body.
I could go on and on, and that's my point exactly we need to go on and on to express our gratitude, not just once a year. 

So just take a deep, deep breath and just begin and say to yourself  "I am thankful for.........."





No comments:

Post a Comment