Monday, September 23, 2013

Meditation not Medication!

"The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large."

 ~ Confucius ~

 

We had our monthly meditation class two Sunday nights ago (the 3rd Sunday of the month) and some of the students who attended said that they just recently found out about it even though they have been attending yoga classes at Santosha for a while. We have offered this free class since we opened the studio four years ago. They gave me a gentle slap on the wrist and said I needed to advertise it more.  I promised I would so here is it: Free Meditation & Study Group, the 3rd Sunday night of every month from 6 pm to 7 pm.
 
But what makes this request even more interesting is that the age of the students admonishing me (lovingly) were in their mid 20's.  Of all the things they could be doing on a Sunday night they attended a meditation class.  Wow! We even had 13 year old Evan who attended with his parents.  If this is a sample of future generations, we are in good hands.
 
My husband is retired now so instead of watching the weather channel as from what I am told, most retirees do, he has taken to watching the stock market channel instead.  Boring!  The other day he called me into the room to watch the a segment. I nicely declined, but he said that I would be interested.  I was.  They had a gentleman on who works for Google and he was telling how he teaches a meditation class there and that there is a waiting list for the class. Imagine a waiting list to attend a meditation class, that to me is close to a perfect world. 
 
He went through a brief explanation as what meditation is about; calming the breath then the mind, bringing in positive thoughts and not judging yourself if negative thoughts come back in.  Exactly! He stated that teaching meditation to the employees have reduced stress, increased productivity and office moral.  Why isn't all of corporate American listening to this? Probably just unaware, however they could attend the Free Meditation & Study Group, the 3rd Sunday night of every month from 6 pm to 7 pm at Santosha Yoga.
 
In our asana practice we strengthen our bodies, but what about our minds.  That's where a meditation practice comes in.  If you googled benefits of meditation, you would be blown away at the results.
 
Not sure what meditation is all about?  Join us the 3rd Sunday of every month from 6 pm to 7 pm (next class is October 20).  Am I forgiven now Erin?

No comments:

Post a Comment